I have a couple of Biore sunscreens that I loved, but they eventually irritated my skin. It’s disappointing because they worked so well under makeup and kept my face matte for nearly eight hours. So I had to do another research and discovered through another oily-skin girl the Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV SPF50+ PA++++. 🙂
Anyway, in Canmake’s website, the gel sunscreen is described as so:
- SPF 50+ / PA++++
- Smooth gel without that roughness or stickiness characteristic of most sunscreens. Recommended for those who prefer a light, refreshing sunscreen.
- Gel breaks down into a watery texture as you smooth it over your skin. After using face wash, this is all you need for complete skincare and UV protection. *Can also be used after your usual facial lotion and other skincare products.
- Serves as a moisturizing make-up base with UV protection. Infuses your skin with moisture, helping your foundation to sit better and last longer.
- Use it on your body, as well as your face.
- Skincare gel with 85% beautifying ingredients
- This pleasant watery gel contains 85% beautifying ingredients.
- Sunscreen is most effective when reapplied frequently. Comes in an easily portable tube that makes it simple to adjust the amount you apply, so it’s perfect for reapplying sunscreen when you’re out and about.
That covers pretty much everything that I would describe it, so I’ll skip to my observations. 🙂
- Its texture is like a light cream; not really the typical gel.
- The finish looks oily at first, but not so once it sets.
- I find it slightly moisturizing and helps prevent foundation and powder to cake or build up around a drying acne. On most days though, I still use a separate moisturizer.
- My face looks brighter and less dull than before. I spend long minutes under the sun and it does prevent my face from getting any tan. 😆
- It doesn’t give me a white cast.
- It is not water- and sweat-resistant.
Here’s the list of ingredients for those who want to verify:
Water, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, butylene glycol, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl benzoate, zinc oxide, methylheptyl ester of lauric acid, titanium dioxide, dimethicone, bis ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, polymethylsilsesquioxane, cyclopentasiloxane, sodium hydroxyethyl acrylate / acryloyldimethyl taurate copolymer diisostearyl malate, hydroxide Al, PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, phenoxyethanol, polyglyceryl-3 polydimethylsiloxiethyl dimethicone, polyhydroxystearyl acid, jojoba ester, xanthan gum, arginine, hyaluronic acid, alpha-glucan, phytic acid, saxifraga sarmentosa extract, glucosylceramide, cherry leaf extract, job’s tears seed extract, morus alba root extract, onethera biennis seed extract, silver oxide, Queen of the Meadow flower extract, bilberry leaf extract, artichoke leaf extract
The Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV is ₱690. There’s 40g of product in a tube. To be honest, I wouldn’t recommend this for the body. You’ll quickly use up a tube and it’s not even cheap here.
Canmake is available in the following places:
- SM Makati
- The Landmark Makati
- The Landmark Trinoma
- PCX Power Plant Rockwell
- PCX Robinsons Place
- PCX Alabang Town Center
- Watsons SM North
- Watsons MOA
- Watsons SM Aura
- Watsons SM Megamall
Canmake Philippines website also has an online shop.
The Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV is moisturizing and works well under makeup.
Filter: Both physical and chemical
White cast: Nope!
Waterproof: Nope 🙁